Monday, November 5, 2007

Mafia...another one bites the dirt....

Here's a link to todays news on the latest Mafia news. Normally, this wouldn't interest me but after reading the last few books on Sicily I've come to realize these gangsters helped ruin a beautiful island and the people who inhabited it. The Mafioso is like an artichoke, the "Pith" boss is surrounded by all his men (the leaves) and the choke becomes a strong hold for all the riches they have stolen from the poor farmers and God fearing citizens.

I have no idea if any of my ancestors were in the Mafia or needed their protection to stay alive but many of the families I have read about were so afraid. They would take your farm animals, poison your wells, burn your house if you didn't see thing their way. What a horrible existence. No wonder my ancestors left way back as early as 1880.

I never thought I'd be interested in this Mafia stuff because as a child my friends would ask if my Dad was in the Mafia and I just let them think so. Purely for self entertainment. NOW, my opinion has taken a 180 degree turn because, unfortunately ,one relative reminds me of the macho Mafia by extorting his own siblings and choking them out of their own family inheritance (family dirt) ...thankfully he's dead now but he ruined five families after my Grandparents died.

Well, maybe I'll write more on this later but for now I need to get ready for work.
Ciao

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Your artichoke analogy is a good one.