Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Turkey Day....

well, maybe not for the turkey. I'm just off my work rotation of six nights, whew! I'm so tired when I am charge RN and have two patients. One on a ventilator and a new admit on a bipap machine. My only saving grace was that they weren't too needy and not on any drips. Tuesday night was my last night and that means I get off at 7:30 am Wednesday.

BUT ! Tuesday we ended up taking my Mom to the hospital ER. She wasn't feeling well and looked like crap, ah yes, "crap" a very professional technical term there. I made a MD appt for the next day but my gut feeling said to take her to the ER since she is a diabetic and sometimes have different symptoms for an MI than most...she had no chest pain for one. She had a CXR, EKG and all the other interventions they do to CYA. She ended up with a positive troponin (a cardiac marker)a small lung infiltrate (probably starting of infection or edema)and dehydration. They admitted her to med surg unit, not the ICU where I'm at-which surprised me since most people with pos. troponin are, at the least, observed there. I tend to think she had a non Q mi as nothing showed up on the EKG or she had it a few days earlier and because her troponin levels weren't that high and were already starting to drop. So on my breaks at work I would go over and check on her..(mostly snoring,lol). Today they are "supposed" to release her...any boy does she want to come home!

Guess who's cooking all day! Between me and my nephew, Paul, I think we can handle it. Paul's Mom, my sis, is off to Seattle to visit her daughter, Stephanie, who is house mates with my son.

Len says it should be a beautiful day in Cocolalla, Idaho. No snow for now which is so unlike last year and not good for the ski people up there. I heard Schweitzer Mtn. is making snow as they haven't reached the two foot mark in order to open. That's all for now, gotta get cookin!

3 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry your Mum's not well, pink and hope she got home. What's tropinin? You must be exhausted but hope you had a great Thenksgiving!

Unknown said...

Hi Welshcakes, Troponin is a blood test that shows, if increased, damage specific to heart muscle. The following day my Mom had other blood test that showed she was in heart failure, her BNP (a hormone found in the left ventricle of the heart) test was extremely elevated. Since she wasn't urinating much she was most likely in congestive heart failure, aka CHF, a fluid overload for your heart which can stretch your left ventricle. Determining a heart attack verses CHF is a bit tricky when, as a diabetic, you don't present the normal symptoms of chest pain or EKG changes. Of course her doctor showed up a half hour after we visited so I couldn't ask any questions but I will call him Monday. My Mom came home last night looking 100% better. Thanks for asking!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks for the information, Pink and I'm so glad your Mum is on the mend. Auguri