Thursday, May 17, 2007

Italian Lesson #1

So I bought Rosetta Stone's Italian language CD set....and yes, still on lesson one-level one. I think at my age the learning takes a tad bit longer. Not to mention there's nary a soul to listen to me (but myself!). The CD's are pretty good as far as getting you to understand what they are talking about- reminds me of third grade, matching colors and pictures with words. The only bad thing is if I'm really lost I have to use bablefish.altavista.com.
Sometimes the interpretation in not quite right but you end up getting the jist of it all.

I'm still early in the planning process of my trip to Sicily. A few fellow Bloggers have offered to help, Thank You-very much! My husband, on the other hand, has decided to leave all up to me, yes-I know where this is going. If there's a screw up it's all on me. Hubby, Len, is 1/4 northern Italian and 1/4 Sicilian the other is Irish and Scottish (yikers). There is now a possibility we may stop in Lucca, Italy to see some of hubbies relatives. Len's Aunt Angela Beggigo (sp?) in northern California who speaks Italian and was opera singer, Pavarotti's voice coach here in the states, and would probably love to go. I need to check that out!

I'm patiently awaiting my Grandparents birth act (that's what it's called over there) documents from Italy, via Trabia, Sicily. My researcher has spent much time on my search as there were two sets of brothers with exact first and last names, nothing new in the Italian naming format. She had to get the priest at the local parish in Trabia to search, I sent a donation to the church, which is only fair for his efforts. But the Trabia Commons, the civil entity, screwed things up a bit and forgot to send some documents. But all is straightened out and with fingers crossed I should get my documents before next week!

Then... I ordered microfilm of Trabia from the Mormon Church of Latter Day Saints. Good grief, I sat for two hours and read, looking for familiar family names, because currently it's all Greek to me! Ha! I found one name....and I have many more pages to peruse.

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Your search is very interesting. Do keep us up to date. If I can help in any way re your trip to Sicily, just let me know.