Sunday, January 21, 2007

Genealogy

Well, I finally have something to blog about instead of being a lurker. I got this urge to finally pick up on research for my Sicilian heritage the last few days. I must have gone to five sites and spent the last two days on them. I actually took the plunge, which is hard for me to admit, and ask for help. I went to ItalianGenealogy.com and blabbed about how I've hit a standstill in searching. I was helped by "vj" who had an answer for every question.

VJ gave me the name of an Uncle living in Fremont which is an hour away so I called him. He didn't really have much new to tell me except we have relatives in Canada! That was such a weird call as my Dads family was divided when the last parent died. A dead uncle supposedly, and I believe he did, made a fake will and gave himself all the family property! He used my Dad as his "slave boy" (that's what I call it) on the ranch so his kids could go to college...My aunt used to say that our Grandma loved my Dad so much, because he was born three mos after his father died, and she would never leave him out of a will... Ok, well that's the family dirt! But my Dad got outta that situation with my Mom's insistence!!! HooHa!

VJ searched the Census and Death Indexes and made since of what I'd seen before but couldn't make the pieces fit. Most of it is related to BAD SPELLING ! It was exciting to see previous family names mentioned come together.

"VJ" even found the name of my Grandmother as well as her birth date and Immigration status. Now I should be able to find her name on the ship manifest among the zillion of immigrants.

It's hard to imagine but the manifest shows my grandfather came here with only $90.00 in his pocket ! Him, his wife and a baby! Oh, I'd surely faint over that one in this day and age. I know the search isn't over yet so back to the manifests...

4 comments:

Word Tosser said...

www.untanglefamilyroots.blogspot.com does this too.. she started doing hers and her husband's and now she does it for a job.. so she can help others. She was blasted away with what she found. She lives over by Post Falls, I believe.
Also a friend of one of my daughter's did my mothers. My aunt had one quite a bit on my father and we had only 2 generations on my mothers. We found out there were several in the Revolution War..So my grandchildren may be able to get a scholarship with some of information. It was so cool to see how many where involved. And when you can find out what jobs they had it is truly amazing. So good luck with yours... when are you heading this way again?

Word Tosser said...

that is suppose to be blogspot.com

NighthawkNorth said...

Hey Neighbor! I Live down the street from you. Welcome to the neighborhood. Here is my Blog
http://nighthawknorth.blogspot.com/
Cynthia Wood

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, it's me from Sicily! Fascinating to learn of your ancestry. Do keep us updated on the search.