Friday, January 5, 2007

Can U Canoe?

<---- Not us, hee hee, but close.



Our newest gig is a search for a new canoe. As teenagers hubby and I went canoeing together ....once. That was on a local dam where the water was like a mirror. After a high school breakup Len and I didn't meet until 30 years later at a class reunion.

A little in between history: Len was into racing canoes and kayaks down level 5 rivers like the American, Russian (before it was dammed) and Sacramento. As for me: About 10 years ago I was on the American River , level 2, and our raft did a pancake going around a huge boulder. I had two of my kids on board. Thankfully they made it to shore but not me. I was rescued by a lone rafter who pulled me out of the rapids and steered us to safety. I know if it weren't for her I'd be a dead duck. Since that day I stay as far away from moving water as possible and that includes choppy and white caps on the lake.

I think we've finally narrowed down our choices to three canoes. They are all made by Old Town Canoe. There is a local dealer in town which is convenient.But, it doesn't end there. There's a zillion choices for paddles, life vests, fishing gear and oh yes, hubby wants an electric motor. Not to mention we want to take McKay, our dog, so that means gear for her. Yikes!
It only took me six months to decide on tile for a back splash so I guess if I start now I should have all our gear by June.....

3 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

An electric motor for a canoe? Wouldn't that be you dressed in hot pink?? lol

Word Tosser said...

We have a Coleman... which sits upside down on top of the 47 pickup frame. Both been there for years. lol... anyway, I have never been in it. Not crazy about anything that tips easy. I like flat bottoms.. Like me..

PinkAcorn said...

word tosser....ha ! you're too funny.
I am scared of tipping, major!