Thursday, April 23, 2009

COPD ....



Many patients in my unit have COPD..what is it? Well, COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It's kind of a global description for various lung diseases like asthma, bronchitis, smoking and SMOKING too much... this obstructs the air flow and exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your lungs.

I would venture to say that 90% of the COPD patients that come to my unit are from SMOKING too much...

After educating patients we still hear these comments;

..."but I quit a month ago"... {{{after smoking for 40 years...doh}}}
..."I didn't refill my Rx for my inhalers" {{{well, there ya go}}}
..."I ran out of cigarettes"...{{{what the ?}}}
..." I don't like my c-pap"..{{{it's keeping you alive *%&^%*}}}

After 24 hours a heavy smoker will need a nicotine patch...usually they beg you let them go out for a smoke first...to myself I say, "job security,job security,job security"

Are you not feeling my compassion...

2 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Both my parents died within 10 weeks of each other through smoking related diseases, even though my father had quit about 8 years previous.... by then it was all to late....

I have never ever smoked in me life, not even had a puff.... not even when all me maties started smoking at about 16, I was never one to follow the crowd or give under peer pressure....

Always been me own person lol...... money was hard enough to earn let alone earn it then burn it and stink like an ashtray as well lol

x

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I feel it strongly,pink. It must drive you crazy when they say that!