Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Prickley Pear and Cactus aka Nopalitos


















So I had some inspiration on this blog from the SicilyScene.blogspot.com site. It seems our ranch in Morgan Hill has many of the same plants grown in my fathers land of heritage, Trabia, Sicily. Aside from the loquats, lemons, fava, oranges we grow there's also a few cactus or prickly pear scattered about the ranch.

Most of the time people come by and just pick the fruit without permission. Even though that may be irritating at times it is nice to know they aren't going to waste. Personally, I'm not that fond of of them. If you can manage to get to the pulp of the fruit without a major injury your in luck. And, the pulp is not that easy to eat either, it has has a lumpy seed like texture.... I'm not sure what else you can do with the fruit besides eating it fresh.

I do know you can make a variety of dishes made with the leaf. There's also pickled leaf strips you can buy and make a refreshing salad.

1 comment:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks for the link. I hate picking the things but I do love them!